Domain & Hosting FAQ
Before a website can be built, a domain name and hosting space needs to be secured. We believe these should be owned by you and provide instructions below for you to do that. If you wish for us to do handle this for you, you'll find that information at the end.
We recommend GoDaddy Managed WordPress Deluxe which includes:
- 15 GB Storage
- Bandwidth for 100,000 site visitors
- Free Domain with annual plan
- Search Engine Optimization Tools
- GoDaddy Email Marketing (GEM) for up to 50 subscribers (once you surpass 50, there are tiered plans as your list grows)
GoDaddy is always offering incentives for new products and service, as well as for longer term commitments. As of 2/23/2017, the Deluxe Managed WordPress has the following tier sales:
- 1, 3, 6 month intervals billed at $9.99 per month
- 12 month prepaid commitment is $7.99 per month / $95.88 per year
- 24 month prepaid commitment is $6.99 per month / $167.76 per year
- 36 month prepaid commitment is $4.99 per month / $179.64 per year
Instructions to setup Managed WordPress:
- Go to: https://www.godaddy.com/hosting/wordpress-hosting
- Scroll down until you see the options (Basic, Deluxe*, Ultimate, Developer)
- Click Configure
- I prefer to add "SiteLock Malware Scanning" to defend against hackers attempts at $1.49 per month
- You do not need an SSL certficate until you are planning to sell products & take credit cards directly
- Click Continue
- Grab your free domain. If you already have one, consider an alternate (i.e. yourdomain.net)
- The next screen will tell you if your desired domain name is available. If not, search again or pick one of their suggested alternates.
- At check out, you'll see the first product is Deluxe Managed WordPress with the term of 36 months which you can reduce depending on the initial investment you want to make here.
- If you added SiteLock, the term will match WordPress, so please change it here if you changed it there.
- You should see your free domain listed as well as Free Office 365 Email for one year.
Once you have secured the domain name and space, you need to make me us a delegate on your GoDaddy account:
- Log into your GoDaddy Account
- Go to Account Settings > Delegate Access
- In the People who can access my account, click Grant Access
- Use: Gina Bentley firstname.lastname@example.org
- Access level should be "Manage Products" only, I don't need Purchase access.
Let us do the work
If all of that seems like a nightmare waiting to happen, we do get a discount through GoDaddy that could save you about $15 on a 36 month term. It's not a tremendous deal, but it's an option if you're concerned about getting the setup right or just don't want to be bothered.
One caveat: Since this requires us to lay out money on your behalf, this service will be billed immediately and no further work will be done until that invoice is paid.